Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Exhausted

So, I started my new job last Wednesday.  I am in the process of becoming a Case Manager for Child Protective Services.  I spent 3 days shadowing last week and started my official training yesterday... in Sarasota.  The route I take is almost 70 miles, one way, and takes me close to an hour and 45 minutes, one way.  Needless to say, I am exhausted.  For whatever reason, spending close to 3 1/2 -4 hours in the car each day wears me out.  I know it's not physically or mentally exhausting, but still.  Tonight was the worst.  I left training at 4:21pm and pulled into our condo parking lot at 6:26pm.  For those of you who are mathematically challenged (like me), that is 2 hours and 5 minutes.  The worst part was that it began to storm just before I drove onto the Skyway Bridge.  I already don't like that bridge; it freaks me out.  Being on it during a torrential downpour was nerve-racking.  Just when I thought it couldn't get worse, it did.  Once I got off the bridge, it began to rain so hard that I could barely see the car in front of me.  I turned on my hazard lights and drove super slow and finally made it through the worst of it.  By the time I got off 275, it was still raining, but it wasn't nearly as horrible as it had been.  My knuckles were white, my neck and face muscles were tight, and I'm pretty sure my blood pressure was up (although it's never happened before so I don't really know if it was or not).

Anyway, back to the job... So far, training is going well.  There are only 10 students in our class, which makes it nice and cozy.  Our trainer is great and keeps us engaged in whatever she's teaching.  She's been in this field for about 22 years, so she has so much information to offer and so many stories to share.  After only 2 days, I'm a little overwhelmed, but I'm still super excited about what I'm about to do.  There's so much to learn, and I think the legal information is going to be the most difficult part of all.  Even still, I'm very excited.  I'm having to get used to going to bed by 10pm so I can make myself get up at 6am in order to get to Sarasota on time, but I just keep reminding myself that it's only for 6 weeks.  John has been out of town since Sunday morning, and I can't wait for him to get back tomorrow night.  He's been in Louisville, KY, where it's cold and gloomy, for a training with his boss and co-worker.  I can't wait to hear his key unlock the door tomorrow night - if I'm even still awake.

Different topics have popped into my head over the last week, and my intention was to write about each of them.  My goal was to write every night, but we stayed busy over the weekend, and I've just been so tired that it hasn't happened.  That's the case tonight as well.  While I'd like to write more, I am struggling to keep my eyes open.  That said, I can't even remember everything I've intended to write about and will go to bed rather than trying to recall it all.  Boring, I know.

Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment